Johannesburg’s most anticipated creative festival, Constitution Hill’s Basha Uhuru Freedom Festival fired up by Nando’s, will offer a jam-packed line-up of creative immersions and experiences for its 10th anniversary. Tickets available through Webtickets.
A signature event of Constitution Hill Museum and National Heritage site, the Basha Uhuru Freedom Festival was founded in 2012 to immortalise the memory of the youth who fought for their right to choose in the Soweto 1976 Uprising, affording youth of today the freedom to create.
Commemorating its 10-year anniversary, and fired up by long-term partner Nando’s, the festival runs from 25 October to 29 October 2022 at Constitution Hill. This year Basha Uhuru welcomes supporting partners SOL; BASA; Brand SA; Brand SA Global; Gauteng Tourism; Hollywood Foundation and the Gauteng Province’s Department of Economic Development
Sounds of Freedom Music Festival: 29 October 2022
In true Basha style, the festival culminates on 29 October with the Sounds of Freedom Music Festival. Curated to provide space for up-and-coming artists and new talent, the music festival this year is headlined by local mega stars, DBN Gogo, Mandla Spikiri, Blxckie, Big Zulu, Msaki as well as; Lelowhatsgood, iPhupho L’ka Biko; MamThug, Kyotic, DJ Mr X, Bonj, Fif_Laaa, DJ Zero, Thabie, Melo B Jones, DJ Walker; Mo_Niks, and AN.D.
The music festival opens at 10h00, and festivalgoers will enjoy ongoing flaming hot music showcases throughout day, starting with talent curated by Bridges For Music. The line-up includes performances from Amapiano talents Aymos and Basetana, as well as alumni from Bridges Academy, including Kallo, Frigid Armadillo (DJ) and Phodii (DJ). There will also be performances by the Nandoca Uhurus, who are part of the Nando’s internal music talent development programme. This year they will receive mentorship from Msaki and Bonga Kwana and not only perform on the main stage but attend all the music workshops and panel discussions to help nurture and develop their talents.
Feeding creativity at conference week: 25 – 28 October 2022
The Basha Uhuru Freedom Festival Creative Week is an all-encompassing creative showcase, an opportunity for creatives and aspiring creatives to come together, be inspired, showcase their talents and feed their creativity.
Each day has a particular creative focus offering masterclasses, panel discussions, workshops and dialogues. For the first time ever, people can choose to purchase tickets for each of the days or for the whole week, allowing them to select sessions more relevant to their interests. On the 25 October will be Business focused, 26 October Design focused, 27 October Art focused and the final day, 28 October 2022 music focused.
The Nexus of Art and Technology – Design Battles and Workshops
There will be a Nando’s Hot Young Designer installation, and on 26 October, the winner of the 2022 Nando’s Hot Young Designer talent search will also be announced at Basha Uhuru. On 27 October, the professionally produced song in partnership with Flame Studios, will be officially launched by the Nandoca Uhurus. Evening programmes are jam-packed, featuring music, local film productions, and a poetry slam showcase.
Evening conversation include:
- *&$#%UP Sessions: successful creatives share stories of professional failure. Failure is a part of any success story, but we don’t talk about it enough. This session aims to break down stigmas, and amplify the message that failure is healthy and essential to learning and growing
- Queer Representation in Media and Performance: Exploring the positive and negatives of Queer representation in media and the arts.
Creative Week Tickets are R100 for the week – includes attendance for all four days, or R50 per day. This allows flexibility for creatives who are interested to be able to catch all or part of the programme. Tickets are available on Webtickets. Visit www.bashauhuru.co.za for the full program.
DIY + CO-CREATE Creative business building workshops
In these hands-on workshops, creatives and entrepreneurs learn from industry experts with the latest strategies for business growth. These workshops are designed to empower individuals to take ownership of their success with insider tips and secrets from some of the most successful thought-leaders around.
- Workshop expert topics include Marketing, Business Planning, Design, Social Media, Storytelling/Video, Public Relations, Google Tools, and more.
Art & Design:
The Language of Pattern: Panel moderated by Malibongwe Tyilo with inspiring local designers Sifiso Shange, Tracy Lynch of Clout SA and Glorinah Mabaso of Renaissance Design that unpacks how patterns can be used in design.
- Materials and Design Choices: Panel discussion with Ashanti Design, Candice Laurence of Modern Gesture, Thabisa Mjo of Mash. T Design, and Tracy Lynch of Clou
- Artists’ Work Identity: Panel discussion moderated by Boitumelo Tumy Motsoatsoe with insights from artists Mbali Tshabalala, Khaya Sineyile, Ludumo Maqabuka and Eric Rantisi
- Augmented Reality Technology in Art: Presented by Robyn Pretorius, this session centres around how to use AR, bridging the gap between the digital and physical
- Future of Art: Founders of new art platforms, BKHZ Latitudes and TACS/Danger Ingozi explore the future of art
- Design Battles: Professional designers, emerging designers and freelance designers test their skills before a live audience. Competition rounds are 20-30 minutes each -fast and furious and culminate in a final battle.
Managing your mental health as an artist: Insights and advice on maintaining wellness for career success and overall wellbeing – managing the pressures of the music industry.
- Collaborative Song-writing: Hosted at the Flame Studios, this workshop is an opportunity to be guided by none other than the iPhupho L’ka Biko band members! In this masterclass, members of the band will explain how they write songs and collaborate. It is open to all songwriters, regardless of experience level.
- Reimagining Your Creative Self with Ntsikelelo Mzibomvu: Based on his book of the same title, Ntsikelelo’s masterclass at Flame Studios will take you on a journey of self-discovery, self-mastery and empowerment.
Art and technology:
“Creative Nexus – Where technology & the creative industries meet” is a full day session that will enrich the possibilities for creative people and artists working with new media technologies, including: Interactive Art & Interactive Installations, Virtual Worlds, Augmented Reality & Virtual Reality, animation Games & Interactivity and the Metaverse.